𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐝𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮’𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝!
I read this today in the book I am reading “100 Days to Brave” by Annie Downs.
Moms I know you are scared, I am too!
- I am scared when my son heads off to school in the morning. Will he get there safely, will people be nice, will people understand him and include him!
- I am scared I am not doing enough for him to be independent, teaching him academics, life skills, how to deal with his frustrations, how to be safe in the community.
- I am scared of what he will do when he leaves high school, did we prepare him well enough to go on to post-secondary school if he chooses, or to pursue a job, will he be able to follow the directions at a job or in the community.
- I am scared if he will build the friendships that we all want and need in life, will they be genuine, will he be included, will they understand him and want him with them.
- I am scared if will he be able to live on his own and not with us, maintain a job…just like we want for all of our children!
Yes I am scared, but I can not let these fears prevent me from doing all that I can for him. Teaching him, advocating for him and preparing him the best I can everyday to show up, to try his best, to be kind and to want to learn!
So I wake up everyday with different ways to help him. I am always thinking, researching, and asking questions. Why? I have to for him.
We all want the best for our children. To live a productive, purposeful life. To have gainful employment. To reach their fullest potential. To be a part of a community. These are the dreams I have for my son. So I will keep being a Mom, I will keep advocating for him. As tired, as frustrated and as stressed as I am I will keep going.
So today I am scared, but I choose to be brave!