Who Am I?
I am an Award-Winning Down Syndrome Advocate, Speaker, past Talk Show Co-Host, Author, I have a Facebook group talking all things beauty, but my "real" job is Mom! The one I am MOST proud of!
I am native New Jerseyan living in the Boston area with my family. I am a mother to my amazingly determined son Jacob diagnosed with Down syndrome, stepmother to my incredibly independent stepdaughter Amanda, and wife to my best friend and biggest cheerleader Paul. I have two awesome dogs Bella and Daisy!
What I Do?
So when asked what is it that I do? I share that:
I am passionate about educating society on acceptance and inclusion for individuals with Down Syndrome. So people see their “capabilities“, not their disabilities.
How do I do this:
- Speaking at nonprofit events, schools, community events
- I used to co-host my Facebook Live Talk Show Down Right Capable
- Authoring two books: "Jacob's Journal - My Journey Home" and "Adventures With A Special Traveler"
- Being a member of the National Down Syndrome Society Inclusive Education Task Force and being an NDSS DS-Ambassador, attending advocacy events
- Vice-President, of our nonprofit Special & Determined where we provide financial support to families of children ages 3-6 years of age with Down Syndrome, so they can access necessary therapeutic services.
- Community Builder - as a midlife woman, I share about all things beauty, skincare and wellness in my Facebook group "Simple Beauty with Marla".